| 10 Reasons to visit IMPHAL
Swipe to see the rest!
1. Pretty Rice Fields - If you think Bali is your jam but don't have the budget, just head on over to Imphal! PC @raj_thwdam
2. Polo Ground - Did you know that the game of modern Polo was derived from Manipur and originally called 'Sagol Kangjei'? The Polo Ground in Imphal is the oldest Polo Ground in the world! PC @danaoba
3. Ima Keithel - Ima Keithel is a more than 500-year-old market that is run and managed entirely by as many as 5000 women, making it the largest and one-of-a-kind all women’s market in Asia. PC @chiranjeeb_s
4. Local Street Food - Look at the varieties! Can you name them?
5. Kangla Fort - Three sides of the fort is surrounded by a moat which still contains water and a Moat Race is organised every year!
6. Shree Govind Jee Temple - Did you know that approximately 1000 people are served bhog here every day from 11 to 11:30 AM except during the occasions of Akadashi, Surya, Chandra Grahan and Dol Yatra.
7. Imphal War Cemetary - The cemetary commemorates the memories of the British and Indian soldiers who died during the World War II. This battle has been termed as the "Normandy of the East" and Earl Louis Mountbatten described the battle fought at Imphal and Kohima as "probably one of the greatest battles in history". 8. Red Hill - It was here in May 1944 that the Japanese were turned and retreated back into Burma to final defeat and surrender during the Battle of Imphal. At the foot of the hill, on the Western side, are two memorials; one constructed by the Japanese, the other by the Indians, both commemorating the losses by both sides.
9. Manipuri Thali - Seen here is the Meitei Thali, an assortment served atop a banana leaf. can you name all the ingredients on the plate?
10. Manipur State Museum - Apart from paintings and artefacts related to the history and culture of Manipur, this museum also houses pre-historic fossils, tools, weaponry and has an amazing coin collection!
#tourgenie #tg #simplifytravel #manipur #manipurstatemuseum #imphal #reasonstovisitimphal #pologround #imakeithel #redhill #battleofimphal #kanglafort #warcemetary #ricefields #incrediblenortheast