Living in US, and wearing sarees to work, I often get these complements, remarks or unsettling questions:
1. " Neha, wow, you wear sarees to “USA” office, are you working with a Desi* company or is it American?" (*Desi is a term used by NRIs for NRIs) .
🙊How does it matter if people, who I work with, are from Indian origin or aliens. Saree is an unstitched piece of cloth that can be worn, draped and styled like any other outfit. I find them beautiful, versatile and I feel the most beautiful in them. “ए मायी-simple logic”
2. “You are exceptional” .
🙊Really, how? How can wearing sarees regularly, make anyone exceptional. Then what about our mothers and grandmothers- were they angels?
3. “Wow, you wear sarees in freezing temperatures?” .
🙊Well, all offices are centrally air conditioned.
4. “Sarees don’t look as smart as Western wear, you have actually lost it. “ .
🙉Now, this comment is completely in sync with the slave mentality that we Desis have; who think sarees are uncool, that sarees look behenji. Well, maybe I love the behenji look, I am a behenji.
and yes, I am madly in love with sarees as I have found/ worn nothing in comparison to it which has this rich history, culture, stories, magic, wonder, sustainability, memories and the chic quotient.
Tomorrow, I would like my daughter to love them too, if she chooses not to, I will understand.
5. “Chalo, these days sarees are in fashion too, pehn lo tum bhi tab tak”
🙊No, my love doesn’t change with seasons/trends
6. Tumhari umar zada lagti hai in sarees, you look so cute and younger in Westerns.
🙊Ohh, you just lost another 10 points of my respect for you.
7. Do you repeat your sarees?
Long beeeep…………….🤬 .
I have nothing against any clothes, to each their own. I love my other clothes as well and wear them often. Sarees are ofcourse special to me, I’m not. 🙏🏻 .
#nabakothi #weavesofodisha #sareenotsorry #saree #sareelove #ikat #weavesofindia #handwoven #handloom #ilovehandloom #sareedrape #sareesofinstagram #sotd #ootd #wearhandloom #weaversofindia #supporthandloom #ilovesarees #sareetowork #khanduasilk #ikat_ki_bahaar